Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spooky girl!

Semi was a little spooky today for some reason.

The day started out great when I went to a horse show where some girls from the barn were showing. It was a gorgeous warm and sunny day and the horses were all so relaxed and happy, with the sun glinting off their hair. Largo looked like a golden bronze horse, the colors that came off in the sunlight!
There were alot of falls at the competition, with many horses refusing in particular the first jump and riders coming off into the poles. Another girl had to be carried off the course when her horse fell on a turn and she hurt her leg somehow. All horses were fine though.
Silvia was glowing as usual, she is so happy at these shows, bring great energy to alll herfriends, human and equine !

Then I drove back to the stables to meet Mishka and ride. We mucked over to the turnouts through the mud and the horses were all relaxed looking. Semi came right over when I called her and I had treats to give out to all. She waited patiently while Mishka undid the difficult fastenings on the boys' paddock. She was trying to get Leo out without freeing Emil, who is a known escape artist. Last time he got out he was found 2 villages away!

All was fine, I was leading Semi behind Leo and she was walking nicely, even though I was carrying a bright yellow plastic bag with boots in it. She didn't even notice it. However, she became quite alarmed at something over by the farm equipment and hay stack. I mean, she passes by it every day so I don't know what it was. It WAS pretty windy out though. But its been like that for the last couple of days, and I was riding her out in the field yesterday in windy conditions and she had zero problems then. ANyway, she somehow transported herself in an 180 degree arc, coupled with a rear, and ended up on my other side, very upset and at the literal end of her lead rope. I was pretty glad I had tied a knot in the end when I picked her up so it wouldn't slip through my hands in just such a case.

She was high-headed and nervous now and I struggled a bit to calm her. Then we had to walk by the cows which I think she is not thrilled about generally. But when we tried to go in the back door of the barn she surged forward to get in, pinning me against the wall there. It is very narrow and there is a stupid tractor right there inside so is a tight passage. Well, I had to drop the rope as there was no room for me AND a  giant panicking horse. She rushed up and bumped into Leo and Mishka, who kindly didn't get angry with me and caught her.

So after that, an uneventful tack up. On the way out of the barn to the arena though she got scared of something and rushed forward, even stepping into the back of my leg which bloody well hurt! No injuries though : )

Semi was fine inside for the most part, although she spooked several times, which I have to say is unusual for her. What's funny is that yesterday she was scared to go by the door of the arena and of one corner. Today she rode by both spots as if they didn't exist! no idea.
 I LOVE MY HORSE!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, sounds like you had quite the day yourself...funny about the drain....horses are so entertaining! : )

    ReplyDelete