Thursday, March 10, 2011

First ride-out with Sementa!

Yesterday was a gorgeous, sunny day around 6 C, after some work in the indoor arena, Monica suggested we go outside to walk in the fields! I was nervous about it but have been dying to go out with Semi so happily agreed. My friend Martina had come by to visit us so she opened the door for us and we ducked down and rode out through the door. I was a little surprised as I have not done this on Semi before, she was a little excited, with her head up and ears perked. She tends to be pretty looky so I was nervous about that too but all went well!!
We walked through the yard, which is more or less a construction site, with tarp covered machinery, hoses and equipment everywhere. No problem for Sementa or for Taktika (Monica was riding her). We went out through the gates to the property and into the field, a road runs right by it and of course a huge tractor-trailer came barreling down the road just as we were walking by. no problem at all!! Semi didn't even glance at the truck but was instead staring at various bushes and toward the turn-outs where her friends were standing.
We rode for about 20 minutes through a field, Monica was happy and telling me about where in the fields they like to ride in the summer and fall....there are apparently some big circles that one can ride exercises on a little further back. Lots of birds were singing, the sky was a beautiful blue, our horses were sighing happily.....heaven : ) We even saw three lovely deer burst out from a hedgerow and skitter down the field. I turned Semi's head away just in case, but it didn't seem like she was remotely interested in running along with them. luckily. Monica said one of the horses there (can't remember who) loves to run with deer and if he sees them will take off to join them.....an instance I'd def like to skip. or? maybe it would be fun?
We were going to trot but Semi picked her head up so high and was so excited that I felt sure she would run off so I stopped and stayed walking. next time I guess.
She even walked over iced mud and through a little puddle or two! She seems to have no problem with obstacles, just likes to look and stare around....I imagine that if she were working she would start to concentrate pretty well.
We passed by a big hay stack that someone had spraypainted advertising a pig roast party, Sementa was pretty interested in that hay : )
The walk went really well. Actually the only time Semi sidestepped at all was when we were re-entering the gates to the property, not sure why even.  Once inside, she stepped over hoses, walked by blowing tarps and machinery without a moment's attention.

4 comments:

  1. Good for Semi. Sounds like you had a very nice ride despite all kinds of obstacles. That's always cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ladies! I am still smiling from it! And we are going out again today, so I hope I will muster the cojones to trot and maybe even canter a bit outside.....she is just such a sweet and caring horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great first ride out. I am so sure your countryside is gorgeous. You and Sementa are so lucky. Enjoy for me - I am surrounded by suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was, thanks! In this area the countryside is mostly small villages surrounded by fields and vineyards with the foothills of the Carpathians. Its so beautiful! I will try to take more pix of the surroundings....

    ReplyDelete